Interested? Well, we’re always glad to welcome new members!
You don’t have to be athletic to do Kendo. And regardless of fitness level, anyone-young and old-can join our training. See for yourself!
All our dojos are currently accepting new students:
- Quezon City Dojo
Beginners’ Trial Sessions will be held on all Saturdays of July 2018, with the Beginners’ Class starting August 4, 2018.
- City Club Dojo (Makati City)
Recruitment currently on-going.
- Dasma Village Dojo (Makati City)
Recruitment currently on-going.
Stuff that you need to know:
- Drop by one of our regular training sessions at any of our Dojos. You can watch our practice to see first- hand what training entails, and to ask your questions about what we do.
- Potential beginners are asked to attend a free trial session where you can try out Kendo basic training to experience it. If you will avail of the free session, please check with the individual dojo first when the trial sessions will be held.
- Please come in a set of comfortable work-out clothes (e.g. t-shirt and shorts/jogging pants). Do not worry about equipment, we will lend you some for your trial session.
- Please be early for the session so that you can be properly oriented prior to the start of training. You will also be asked to fill in an information form as proof that you indeed attended the session.
- Once the session is finished, you will have to decide on your own if you will indeed push through with joining the beginners’ class.
- If you are able to get a slot for the class, please also prepare your first monthly fee, depending on which dojo you will train at. You may inquire with the Club Managers.
- After starting, you will be asked to buy your own shinai (bamboo practice sword). Sensei and the club managers can assist you with sourcing one. Other equipment and uniforms will come later, after you pass the beginners’ course, but these items will definitely cost much so it is advisable is to start saving up.
- Beginners’ training can last from 4 months to a year, depending on your individual rate of progress. Once we deem you are ready, we will ask you to take a exam to see if you are ready for the next step in Kendo. If you pass the exam, you can now participate in the bogu class, which includes free sparring in the training.
For your reference, here are the dojo location and training schedule of the IGA Kendo Club Philippines:
Venue: The 3rd Fitness Lab
124 Sct. Dr. Lazcano St., Brgy. Sacred Heart, Quezon City, 1103
Saturdays 3:00 – 5:00PM
Venue: Dasma Village Gym
Campanilla Street, Dasmarinas Village, Makati City
Saturdays 10:00 – 12:00NN
CITY CLUB DOJO
Venue: Basketball Court
The City Club Alphaland
7232 Ayala Avenue Ext. Makati City
Wednesdays 6:00 – 8:00PM*
Sundays 4:00 – 6:00PM
For inquiries, email us at email@example.com or drop us a message on our Facebook page! You can also check more about us at www.igakendoclub.com.
Follow IGA Kendo Club on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram Google +
Looking forward to seeing you at the dojo soon! Let’s enjoy Kendo!
18 thoughts on “Try Kendo at IGA Kendo Club!”
Hi Cherli! To sign up for a trial session, please check the IGA Kendo Club Philippines page on Facebook, or drop us a message there for your inquiries 🙂
I’m interested, let me know how much will be the monthly fee for beginners. Thanks
Hello Rowald. Thank you for your patience. Please choose first which of our three dojo you want to join (Arena, City Club, or Dasma Village). This is because they each have their own fees and joining procedures due to the different deals we have with the venues. Once you choose, I will be able to give you more specific information. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Hi I plan to attend the session tomorrow at alphaland, should i bring gear for training or does the trial happen on a seperate day?
Hello Abel, and thank you for your message. If you plan to attend the session tomorrow, there is no need to bring gear as we can lend you some for the first session. If you have your own shinai (bamboo sword) however, please bring it so that we can see if it is indeed suitable for you. If yes, you can use it tomorrow, as the shinai is the only thing we require beginners to use for the first few months of training.
Regarding trial sessions, unfortunately the City Club Dojo is our one location where we do not offer that due to our arrangement with the management of the facility. You can do a one time paid session however (P700) tomorrow before fully committing to joining the Club.
The schedule in the area, is it required that youll be attending both thurs and sat or you can choose one cause it would conflict my sched in college if i were too join.. but i am really interested to join…
Sorry the arena
Thank you for your message! Regarding your question about Arena, the primary class for beginners is the Saturday 2-4pm class. The Thursday class is purely optional, and only meant to supplement the Saturday class.
I also have to inform you that the current Beginners Class in Arena already started last July 2. If you want to join that class, you should go this coming Saturday. If not, you will have to wait for the next class which should start in November.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can send you more details about the Arena Beginners’ Class.
My fiancee is doing Kendo here in Japan since he was in elementary school. We will be in Phillipines on December 9 and my fiancee want to watch the practice in Makati next Saturday. If the Iga Kendo Club dont mind can we see the practice of the club next Saturday(December 10)
Thank you very much and i will wait your response.
Hi. Do we need to sign up/inform you first if we plan to go to a beginner’s trial session?
Yes, we would appreciate it if you inform us if you will be passing by for a trial session. This is so that we will know how many people to expect on that day. Please indicate which dojo you plan to visit, and when. Thank you very much.
Good day. I am interested to take beginner lessons this summer at Arena Dojo. Please advise what I need to do.
Thank you in advance.
Hi Raymund. Unfortunately we do not have a summer program in the Arena Dojo. Our current beginners’ class started this month (March). If you want to try to catch up with it, please go this coming Saturday, March 25, before 2pm. Please be in comfortable sportswear or workout type clothing. We will lend you the necessary equipment for the day. Please also message us again if you do plan to go. Thanks.
Hi I am interested to join the DV Dojo because it is near from where I live. I am interested to learn kendo because i’ve read that it will help you in so many ways other than being fit. I am just afraid that it would be quite expensive. I hope I will get the rates if you cannot post them here please feel free to send them via e-mail. Thank you so much!
How old must you be to join?
do you have training programs this summer only?
Hello Tres. Thank you for your message. If you are talking about classes for adults, then you can join in any time during the summer in our Dasma Village or City Club Dojo. Both dojo accept new students at any time, so you can join there for the summer. Please check the description of each dojo in our dojo section to learn more about them.